GlobalMedic is responding to needs created by the COVID-19 pandemic. We believe in order to control this virus, it is extremely important for all of our local agencies (public and private) to work together to ensure the health and safety of our citizens, and we are doing our part in this ever-changing situation.
We are responding in the following phases as needed in order to help:
1) We have offered our critical infrastructure tenting to partners globally if they need additional field hospital space to treat patients. Locally we have offered the tents to the health officials, hospitals and local agencies. We are setting up tents to help food banks stay operational and meet the needs of vulnerable beneficiaries. We have set up structures at the Daily Bread Food Bank and the North York Harvest Food Bank so that they can continue to serve their clients.
2) We have a stockpile of hygiene supplies, including bar soap, that we have offered to local shelters and other agencies that service vulnerable populations. Frequent hand washing is the first defense against the spread of the COVID-19 virus. We have partnered with organizations like Street Health in Toronto by providing them bar soap to ensure the most vulnerable have the tools they need to protect their health.
3) We are providing emergency food to local food banks. This food comes in the form of bags that contain 500 grams of nutritious staple products that families need. The staple items include: rice, kidney beans, pearled barley, green lentils, red lentils, green peas and chickpeas.
4) We have a stockpile of cleaning supplies that can be used to help people clean and disinfect their homes if they are self-isolating.
5) GlobalMedic has launched a cash transfer program to help those struggling as a result of COVID-19. By receiving a cash transfer, it is the hope that the financial burden caused by the pandemic will be reduced.
Donations will be used to increase the number of people we can reach with cash transfers, cover the logistics of moving the aid, and the cost of the supplies that are provided.
Please note that GlobalMedic is taking every precaution to protect its staff and volunteers during this outbreak, including enhanced hygiene practices, and ensuring physical distancing guidelines are followed.